Friday, March 9, 2012

Bakukal, 6th of Paleswelt, P.C. 1017 - Taywin's Journal

I am constantly amazed when I round the feet of the mountains and look on Ravenskeep.  This place has stood for longer than anyone can imagine and still, no matter what the place remains.

Aurik barely remembers the place, but that's to be expected, I have kept him from his home for almost half a decade, but I remember.  It's not the most beautiful structure in the world, a bit hulking and foreboding at times, but what the lightest, most graceful palace in Silvenesti Forest can't match it is it's staying power.

We have heard that the battle was fierce in this area during what everyone is now calling the Third Dragon War (prey that there is not a Fourth), but seeing the outer curtain wall you would think that not much had happened here.

Even the fields that should still be bearing the sign of dragonfire (and worse!) are full of crops waiting to be harvested.

If Willow could see this, I think she would rethink her idea of heading back to Silvenesti Forest.  I know that her people are there, but still, it's not too bad here, and the woods on the flanks of the mountains have a lovely bronze and copper glow about them in these last days of autumn.

But, I have things I have to do, and dropping with his family is just the first thing.  I'm going to miss him, even if he's a bit gangly at this point, all arms and long legs and sharp knees.  I feel sorry for his poor horse, I'm sure even his heels are sharp as daggers.

I'll put this away for a little while, and finish my ramblings when we have reached the keep.

I wonder if anyone will recognize me at this point?

Post Script - Werstran, former Lord of Ravenskeep died this afternoon.  It seems like he held on just long enough for his son to return and take his rightful place and the new Lord.  Aurik's mother is beside herself with grief.  I don't think that the boy quite knows what to do at this point with this new responsibility.  At 14 he is the youngest person that has ever had to fill this void.

I can't imagine anyone younger having to carry this weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment